Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tableau Hyper throws Designer x64 The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile:

Jacob_G
5 - Atom

Hi,

I have a workflow which works fine, I stream out the data from a db connection through the data stream out, apply the auto field tool and then upload to a tableau tde extract with Publish to tableau server. However when I change the publish option from tde to hyper I get: Designer x64 The Designer x64 reported: InboundNamedPipe::ReadFile: Not enough bytes read. The pipe has been ended.

I have tried the usual, restart alteryx, computer, reinstalled but nothing seams to fix the issue. 

Any ideas?

I'm running 2018.2.4.47804 and publish to tableau server 2.0.

6 REPLIES 6
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Pipe errors tend to be a bit of a mystery but are often related to memory. 

Are you getting any warnings about low memory on your machine when running the workflow?

Ben

Jacob_G
5 - Atom

Nope, I saw that issue mentioned in another post so I decreased the data size to only 10k rows, still get the issue unfortunately. It is weird that it works for the Tde extract but not Hyper since the Tde files usually are twice the size of the hyper ones.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I've found that .hyper files can often be larger too. 

Not sure what to suggest here, perhaps you could raise more formally with alteryx support (support@alteryx.com), let's also see if any others have ideas!

Ben

Jacob_G
5 - Atom

Will do!

Jacob_G
5 - Atom

After some help form support I changed all "string" or "v_string" to "V_WString" and that solved the issue. 

DavidLane
5 - Atom

I had a similar issue to this that took a long time to track down.

A macro within a workflow was joining / unioning V_String and String fields, but very occasionally a special character would creep into the data source and the data type for one half of the join would switch to VW_String. This caused the "InboundNamedPipe ReadFile:" error to be triggered seemingly at random. Better control of the source data by replacing all special characters and ensuring everything is V_String before getting to any joins has cured the issue.

Labels