Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Table Formula to bold specific characters

Bueller18
7 - Meteor

Hi 

Is there a way to create a formula in the table tool to bold specific text within a column? For example:

for the string:

Jan 19: Next report due from board

I want it to display as:

Jan 19: Next report due from board

I have tried splitting the field and having either a text tool or two columns however the formatting and alignment is not consistent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

So this is kind of possible, but not in a normal tool function kind of way. 

This first thing to understand is that the Layout fields in Reporting tools (that allow for us to format output) use a text format called PCXML, which uses HTML for these style rules. What I did in the attached example is this:

- Input your data and create the Layout using the Table tool (Layout field type)

- That Layout field is just PCXML text that we can edit with a Formula tool.

- This edited PCXML can be made to a Layout field again using a Report Text in "expert mode".

- A Render tool can render the (modified) Layout field.

The HTML edit to bold a word is <b> and </b>, so I just used a Replace( function to add those around the word I wanted to bold and it seems to work. The problem is that there are going to be a lot of tricky HTML editing to only bold the words you want in the positions you want. I just wanted to show you that it is possible. 

dphowie
6 - Meteoroid

@CharlieS This was really helpful for a project I was working on. Thanks for posting this!

dflowers03
5 - Atom

This was great as I put [ ] around the text I wanted bolded and replaced that with <b> and </b>. However, it doesn't seem to like apostrophe's as it is doing: partner’s (instead of partner's). Any suggestions?

Labels