Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tab months change - how to select the right month

Richard_H
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I have set up a workflow, which reads off an Excel file with one tab called "Aug 2016". When I use this same for the next report, I hit a wall! The report owner changes the tab for the relevant month, i.e the next report will contain the same format but a different tab name of "Sep 2016".

How can Alteryx cater for this change?

1 REPLY 1
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Not clear from your question as to whether you keep adding new sheets to the workbook, or if there is only one sheet where the name keeps changing.

I've attached a simple example of how you might do the latter.

The basic concept you are working with is getting the list of sheet names within the workbook and then dynamically selecting the one you want. In my example I have "hard coded" it to files that contain "2016". (If your case was the previous example I mentioned above, you could make this more elegant by, as an example, converting the "XXX 201X" name to a date and then selecting the one with the latest date.)

The key to keep in mind is that you would be using the Dynamic Input tool in however you constructed your logic to select the sheet you wanted.

Labels