Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

TS Plot not capturing proper dates

dgogue
7 - Meteor

I am using monthly sales data in the TS plot tool that goes from January 2016 to July 2021.  For some reason the TS plot is plotting data through January 2022 when there is no data for those months.

I have tried configuring the series start date and that also does not work. 

Anyone know why this is happening?

3 REPLIES 3
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @dgogue - It is difficult to assist without your data and workflow. You may benefit from watching this training video and learning how TS Plot tool works: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Preparing-Time-Series-Data/ta-p/610374#done 

Also, please find a link to documentation here: https://help.alteryx.com/current/TS_Plot.htm  

dgogue
7 - Meteor

Attached is the data with the actual dates from my date but with some randomly generated numbers since i cannot share the actual figures.

The main problem is that due the actual date that sales are reported, There ends up being 13 "monthly" reported sales. 

Sales reported on 2/7/2016 are actually sales for the 4 Weeks ending on 2/7/2016.  See attached data for further details.

Again, I need to run a decomposition plot so i cannot just set the target field frequency Other.  

Erin
9 - Comet

Hi @dgogue! I'm in a similar boat where I have 18 weeks worth of daily data and trying to forecast the next x number of days. On the TS Plot, it shows 13 lines that I'm not sure what they represent (not weeks, because I have 18 of those). Fortunately I can share a pic, does your workflow look similar? 

BronzeFox_0-1630449417278.png

As @ArtApa mentioned, I did watch the recorded live training for Time Series Modeling, and all the interactive TS trainings , and read the Alteryx help articles - but still haven't figured out the secret behind the 13. From those trainings, it appears your data from the Excel file you shared might pose a few issues. Time Series requires data in set intervals (i.e. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc). The provided data appears to be 28 day intervals. Not sure if Time Series can recognize a 28 day pattern or not, or if you need to adjust that with a week number instead such as DateTimeFormat([Date],'%U'). Wishing you luck! 

Labels