Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

TOTAL SUM based on another column

justin_belt
6 - Meteoroid

New to the platform. I am trying to SUM a column fixed on another column. In the tableau world the level of discovery functions handled this. 

I am using two columns, one is a string FISCAL_MONTH_CODE. The other contains 1s and 0s for every day in the month basically identifying if it is a weekday Y|N. I want to lock in on a FISCAL_MONTH_CODE and total all of the ones for that month. 

A tableau example would read as:

{ FIXED FISCAL_MONTH_CODE : TOTAL(IS_WEEKDAY) }  This would place a value of 20 for every day in fiscal month of Feb 2020.

I then need to be able to look backwards and forwards and do the same. For Instance on  Saturday Feb 15, 2020 I need to be able to see that 10 weekdays have passed and 10 weekdays remain in the fiscal month.

I apologize if these are trivial questions, I am just getting started on the platform and have not had any luck on the google...

3 REPLIES 3
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @justin_belt ,

to calculate the total number of weekdays, you can use the Summarize tool and join the result to the basic data. It seems, you not only need the "total number per month", but also the "accumulated count per date" and the "remaining per date". To get this, you can use the Running Total tool and a formula to calculate the difference.
I've attached a sample workflow - hope, this is helpful.

Best,

Roland

VianneyM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @justin_belt,

For that you can use the Summarize tool 

Have a look into "Open Example" > Group by and Count 

sum2.PNG

in your case instead of using the count your will have a group by[FISCAL_MONTH_CODE] and as a second row a SUM [IS_WEEKDAY]

sum.PNG

Let me know if you have a question. And if this doesn't help you, you can upload a sample of your data and also an output of what you are looking to have as a result

Best,

Vianney

Best,
Vianney
justin_belt
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you very much

Labels