Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

TEXTJOIN like function conditional concatenate

daavvt
5 - Atom

Hi- I am fairly new to Alteryx. 

In Excel, I would use TEXTJOIN as an array function to conditionally return all the entries that matched the criteria. (See: https://www.howtoexcel.org/formulas/how-to-conditionally-concatenate-a-range-formula/)

Is there a way to do this in Alteryx? I am looking to create a readout that displays all the products billed to a client, so my source sheet might have a client ID, then many entries with that id with different product names, and I want to put them all into a single cell (preferably with a carriage return as delineator to help make it readable). 

Here is a mock-up where the left two columns would be the source data and the right two would be an example of the output:

Client IDProduct   Client IDProducts
1A   1A
B
C
G
1B   2A
1C   3B
D
2A   4B
C
3B   5A
3D     
1G     
4B     
4C     
5A     

Thanks for any help you can give. 

2 REPLIES 2
bpatel
Alteryx
Alteryx

HI @daavvt ,

You can use the summarize function to group by client id and concatenate by product

bpatel_0-1597427000304.png

Hope this helps!

daavvt
5 - Atom

Thanks for the answer, I realize I was really hoping for something that combined steps- I bet that happens often with Alteryx. Leads me to two follow up questions:

1. is there a way to designate a carriage return in the concat bit of summarize rather than a character? 

2. So i had done what you are describing in a way, but it seemed complicated. Now I have this large-ish data set and I have products with categories. My current solution is to break up the data with multiple filters into my 5 or so categories and then use summarize to concat the product names. Then I will combine them back together. Is there a way to do this in less steps or does it even matter?

Thanks so much for the reply. 

Labels