Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Switching between input files

pr0blem
5 - Atom

Hello!

I am rather new to alteryx and I am struggling with seemingly easy task. 

I have an internal tool which generates reports that have fixed structure: excel format, 8 sheets with different fields layout.   

My purpose is to create workflow where I would take data from 3 of those sheets, apply some calculations and consolidate them into the short summary. Everything works fine except switching between inputs. 

As I need data from three sheets, I need to "click through" 3 "Data input" buttons and choose the same file three times (with different sheets). 

Is there any way to simplify this?

Assumptions: 

- I would like it to be a small tool where I just load fresh report > click play > close 

- structure of the excel file is always the same including sheet names, therefore it would be nice to have those names somehow "hardcoded" into the workflow 

Thank you in advance! 

Best,

Dan

4 REPLIES 4
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Depending on how complex you feel like going, here's a few suggestions.

If each of your three sheets has different field layouts, you will likely benefit from having 3 unique Data Input tools.

Based roughly on the example you gave below, you could do this a few different ways.

If your file names are different but the sheet names are the same, you could use a wildcard character (In Alteryx this is an asterisk *) for the piece of the filename that changes.  That way, if the new file is the only one in your source folder with that name, it will be read in automatically with no changes needed.

Another option would be to use an Analytic app.  This would be a little more involved, but you should be able to use one input data tool, and only pass the file name/location through to all three input tools.  If you think this route sounds more appealing I can put together a quick example.

Hope this helps!

pr0blem
5 - Atom

Claje,

Thank you for your answer. 

The trick with "*" is very helpful indeed. I put asterisk as a whole directory so it is universal. Is the same possible for the "Output data"? 

On the Analytic app - my understanding is that in this case there would be no need for the user to even "see" the workflow. Just opening the app, choosing play and clicking "Play". Would be great if you could provide some example on that topic. If not now it will be surely very useful in the future. 

Thanks again! 

Best,

Dan 

Claje
14 - Magnetar

From an Output Data perspective, if you want files written to a dynamic location, there is a setting at the bottom of the screen that says "Take Output File Name from field".  You can use this to write out to the intended file.  If you want to write to the same file you read from, you can read in the file path using the Input Data configuration under option 5 : Output File Name as Field.

I'm prefacing with some application details: running apps from different computers pretty much requires those computers to either have Alteryx installed, or for you to be using Alteryx Server/Alteryx Gallery.

However, as an example of this, in the Workflow Configuration tab, there is an option to change the "Type" to "Analytic App".

If you click on that Radio Button, that should add a "Magic Wand" next to the green Run Button, which will show you what the app looks like when run.

Once you save it in this format (It will change the file extension from .yxmd to .yxwz), you can also double click on the file to open it in "app mode" without opening Alteryx.

Let me know if you get stuck on that!

pr0blem
5 - Atom

Claje,

That is very helpful, thanks! 

I will stay with the "*" solution for now as - do not want to overdo it. 

However, I am sure that I will try out Analytic app next time.

Thanks!

Best,

Dan 

Labels