Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Survey data - combined data types - value vs. text answers

KaMa
5 - Atom

Dears,

would you be able to give me a hint for the below topic?

I have a practice survey where I have various kind of answers. Some of them are on scale 1-10, others are text answers (very mixed and individual as you can imagine). The thing is I need to divide answers to correspondent categories so I can work further with the data. In the end I need to have specific columns, e. g. Value (numerical answer), Others (text answers naming tools) and Good (things people are satisfied with).

But the text answers vary a lot - some including interpunction, special characters, spaces... But for some words I need to keep more words in one row, e. g. in answer "orders processing"... For some words I need to keep the number inside of the text, e. g. in answer go2.es etc.

Please see a simple example below. I will appreciate any advise on how to deal with text data processing for similar case and even for some more difficult inputs if you have some tips. Thank you a lot 🙂

KaMa_0-1631103941113.png

2 REPLIES 2
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @KaMa 

Thanks for posting on the Community!
In order for the Community to better assist you, can you please reply back with the sample data you are using and a copy of your workflow?

This will help our users know where they need to focus!
Thanks,

TrevorS

Community Moderator
dougperez
12 - Quasar

Usually I would try to clean this dataset with regex. One thing that you should have is a list of programs, and the "good" collumn I  would put the rest of the string.

Labels