Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Supply Chain Simulation

JordanHowell
7 - Meteor

Hello!

I'm trying to use Alteryx to simulate my company's supply chain.  We have a demand with high variability and would like to run a simulation (say 5,000 iterations) that shows what inventory levels across the globe would be based on current production runs and demand forecast.  

Is this possible using Alteryx?  

To note, I've never used the Alteryx simulation tool.  

As always, thanks to the community for any insights/examples/tips you can provide.

6 REPLIES 6
Philip
12 - Quasar

What is the simulation model you run? Do you want to develop it inside Alteryx, or is it a separate object called from withing Atleryx?

Without more information, I think using an Iterative Macro with the model inside and could work simply and easily. You'd just vary the input parameters.

JordanHowell
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the reply.  I would like to develop inside of Alteryx.  I'm not sure if it has the capability to do that though.  My questions is wondering if that capability is possible. 

Philip
12 - Quasar

Attached is a quick, simple iteration model. Does this answer your question if it can be done?

JordanHowell
7 - Meteor

Thanks so much!

Philip
12 - Quasar

Let me know if you have any questions on setting up the iterative macro (or any other questions).

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@JordanHowell,

I continue to avoid building macros when there is a reasonable work-around.  In the sample that @Philip provided you (a very good and sound solution), the 5,000 iterations take roughly 2.7 seconds to complete.  I used all of the logic from that macro to create a non-iterative approach (via generate rows) and solve the same problem in 0.3 seconds.

@JoeM puts the challenges out there and I guess so do you now.

Capture.png Capture.png

#ThrillOfSolving

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels