Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize without knowing all the fields

NikSTHF
7 - Meteor

Hi folks,

So I have a bit of a problem I can't seem to solve. I have a data source that comes into Alteryx, I can prep most of it... however I'm not always going to know the field names (The data source changes depending on usage through a previous day)

Day one;

Agent NameTime Signed InTime Signed outStatus 1Status 2Status 3Status 4
Davexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daveyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Brianxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Day two;

Agent NameTime Signed InTime Signed outStatus 1Status 2Status 4
Davexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daveyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Brianxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So the Summarize function is grouping based on Agent name, but sometimes the status fields aren't always in the data source and Alteryx throws a fit when they aren't included.

How on Earth am I going to get around this as I cannot figure it out?

7 REPLIES 7
andre347
10 - Fireball

What do you want to find out? You can use the transpose tool to pivot the Status Fields (to something like in the image below) and then use the summarize tool. But that depends on what you want to achieve. Do you want to count the number of statuses per Agent Name?

image.PNG

NikSTHF
7 - Meteor

Collate all the statuses per agent.

Sometimes there will be multiple sessions per agent and then the report would show these as individual lines. The statuses would need to be totalled and the Mimimum shown for "signed in" and the maximum shown for "signed out"

andre347
10 - Fireball

and make sure you tick the box 'Dynamic or Unknown Fields' in the Transpose tool. This will make sure that if new status fields come in they are picked up

NickC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello,

This can be achieved by using the transpose tool before the summarize.  You will then need to cross tab to get the data back into the format that you want it.

Cross tab and transpose.jpg

Workflow attached V11.3

andre347
10 - Fireball

So in that case you'd want to use the summarize tool after the transpose tool and group by Agent, Signed In, Signed Out and Sum the Value.

andre347
10 - Fireball

@NikSTHF did you manage to solve this issue with the posts from @NickC and myself?

NikSTHF
7 - Meteor

Bobs your uncle. That worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help with this.

Labels