Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize_Try_It Target Solutions

AllyW86
8 - Asteroid

*Posted the wrong file!  Just updated the attachment*

Hey everyone!  I'm cruising through the "Getting Started" learning path and I thought that I was hitting a roadblock while completing the "Summarize Try It" hands module.  However, after reviewing the solutions, I realized that my answers were correct.  That being said, two of the target outputs are either incorrect or are based off of old data (maybe they just need to be updated?).

I mainly wanted to flag this because I can't be the only person that had this issue, especially for us newbies.  I've attached a copy of my workflow, making note of which target outputs are incorrect.  I also triple-checked to make sure that I didn't accidentally make a mistake, lol.

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@AllyW86 can you upload the csv file as well?

AllyW86
8 - Asteroid

Done!

BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @AllyW86 - for the Aggregations involving Median - try sorting the data first...for example, on the example where the Target is expecting 54777.165 as the Median_Total Pay, if you throw a Sort (Ascending) on Total Pay prior to the Summarize tool, you should get the matching answer. Slightly different for the example where it's asking for Total Pay by Agency. It looks like the Target was derived by performing the aggregations, and then sorting by Agency. Good find however, you are correct in your assumptions that this example could be worded a bit better, perhaps with a few more qualifying "hints".  My guess is that when building these examples, a sort was applied to the source data.

AllyW86
8 - Asteroid

Hey @BrianR !  That does make sense and I originally tried to do that and for some reason it still didn't work 🤔.  It's possible that I sorted on the wrong column - thanks!

AllyW86
8 - Asteroid

@BrianR  The addition of the Sort tool for one of them worked, but for whatever reason, the other one just will not sort in ascending order.  Oh well, the troubleshooting was fun, but this is not the hill I want to die on 😁

Labels