Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize Tool how to make it more "inteligent"?

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Hello all.

I am trying to make a workflow that has 6 columns, but at the beginning it will start with two or three, but my summarize tool is configured with all 6 columns already. Due to that, it does not run because a few columns do not exist yet.

Joker_Hazard_0-1623430538089.png

In the example we can have Failed, Blocked and N/A as well, but they might only appear later on. Is there any way for the summarize tool not stop working and put those columns as "0" just to not stop the workflow? There is a JOIN tool afterwards with the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks! 

4 REPLIES 4
markcurry
12 - Quasar

Hi @Joker_Hazard 

See the attached workflow, hopefully that's along the lines with what you are looking for.  Its added an empty column in case any of the values are missing in your input data.  

Mark

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

markcurry's solution works great if you just need a one-time fix.   There is a tool in the CrEW macros called Ensure Fields that does exactly this with one widget.  You simply put the field names you want to make sure are in the data stream in text box, one per line and it will add any that are missing.  You can pick the datatype as well for anything that it adds.

If you do not currently use the CrEW macros, it may be worth investigating as there are some other very useful tools that have been built into that collection.

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

I dont have alteryx server unfortunally in my organization.... Neither I can download third party tools. Thats sad, but it looks awesome

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

I understand where you are coming from.  The CrEW macros are free to download, do NOT require Alteryx server and are not really installed.   They are simply Alterx macro files and are not installed.   You basically download them and point to them via the User Settings --> Macro tab and they will show up ready for you to use like any other widget.   I'm still not quite sure why these aren't just native to the tool at this point.  We put them out on a shared drive so multiple people can reference them if needed.  Good luck either way!

Labels