Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize Tool String to Number Issue

jboschee
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to use the summarize tool to group by product and sum the sales and units sold, but I received null values for sales (not sure if the units sold that came out are correct) when I run it.

Sales and units sold are string going into the summarize tool.  I tried using Tonumber(), but had no luck.

Any help would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @jboschee

The Imputation Tool would allow you to quickly replace all nulls with 0 for numeric fields.

Would that work for your needs?

jboschee
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JohnJPS,

There should be values and not nulls.  I thought I used a select tool and change them from string then that would work with the summarize tool, but something is off.

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

If I plug in non-numeric data, the sum still appears as non-null as long as there are other numeric rows to summarize.  The only way I get a null sum is if the only rows for a given product ID are non-numeric.  You could try, for any product giving you a null sum, investigate the data by filtering on only that product to see what's there.

jboschee
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JohnJPS,

I think my issue changing the type of data from FixedDecimal to String. The data coming in is FixedDecimal.  Then I changed it to String to do some formatting. Now I'm trying to use the Summarize Tool to sum the sales and units sold by product and the sales aren't coming through.

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

First change the data type for Sales and Units to Numeric using select tool(place it before summarize tool).  Thereafter if you run the workflow, you will get desired output. 

Labels