Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize Tool Not Giving Correct Answer

malafollette
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to use a simple summarize tool too add up the amounts in one of my column and I think it is missing a row... I've attached screenshots. Any help? 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
PeterP
8 - Asteroid

@malafollette ,

Could you please send a screenshot of the actual configuration window for your summarize tool?

malafollette
6 - Meteoroid

Yup!

PeterP
8 - Asteroid

@malafollette ,

If you are just summing up those 5 records, the total comes out to 0. You have a -2503814.4. So it is treating that as a negative number. Did you want to ignore that as a negative or is this what is expected?

kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

Hi @malafollette - When I manually add the values in the 'Amounts' column they add up to zero. What value are you expecting?

malafollette
6 - Meteoroid

The sum should just be -2503814.4

PeterP
8 - Asteroid

@malafollette ,

If the idea here is to sum the amount column rolled up to the "description1" column, then you will need to select "description1" in the summarize tool and perform a group by. I can see that you are trying to sum the amount field and renaming it to something along the lines of "amort trip goodwill". 

By selecting just the Amount field and performing a sum action, alteryx is going to add every single record in the amount field, in this case, summing up to a grand total of 0. if you are trying to sum the 4 records that equal 625953.60, which are grouped under amort trip goodwill for description1, then it will return the total you are expecting.

Labels