Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize Tool - Max and corresponding fields.

PeterPetersen
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

Is it really so that when I select Max for the "Count" column I cannot also choose to get the corresponding row, which in this case would be "Yellow"?

CountColour
1Blue
2Yellow
3 REPLIES 3
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @PeterPetersen!

You are correct. However, it is very easy to get the corresponding color back. Simply add a join after your Summarize tool and connect the other input to the tool before the Summarize, joining on your Count field. 

peterpeterson.PNG

One other option you have would be to sort by your Count field in descending order using a Sort tool then using the Sample tool to keep the First N Records (here it would be 1).

Hope this helps!

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @PeterPetersen

If your data is sorted then you could use the "last" function to return your colour along with the max...but this for me is not robust enough!

I'd adopt an approach where you join back in your original data, joining count to your Max_Count:

max-col.PNG

PeterPetersen
8 - Asteroid

Thank you. I was hoping to find some other way but this seems to be best-practice.

Labels