Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize Dates within Range

Associate_1121
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am having trouble figuring out how to do this. Essentially, I have changing ranges in one column. Every individual date has a count as either a 0 or a 1. I want to sum all of the counts within the selected range. For example, if the range is Jan 1-Jan 5, then the new column would give a total of 3 in the attached picture.

Capture.PNG

14 REPLIES 14
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Associate_1121

I have attached an example of how you can build these business rules and aggregate the data. I am not sure what your ranges are so I can't build anything dynamic, but this should give you a good idea.

Best,

Jordan

Associate_1121
7 - Meteor

Hi @JordanB,

Thank you for your response. Perhaps I explained it incorrectly. The ranges actually change for each row. The ranges are included in the row. Is it possible to get totals for the range specified in that row by adding all rows with dates that fall within that range?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I'm a little confused as well. How does the table in your first post give a result of 3 and where would that value be applied?

In your first example, if Jan 1-5 is input, then the possible date included are either 1-5 or 2-4 depending if you include the 1st and 5th or not. If it's 1-5, then the 1-2,2-3,3-4,4-5 rows would yield a result of 4. If it's 2-4, then the 2-3,3-4 rows would yield 2. 

Associate_1121
7 - Meteor

Hi @ 

I need the dates to be inclusive. The formula would not need be counting the count column, but rather summing the values. It would be 0+0+1+1+1.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

What does the "0+0+1+1+1" represent in you example? Let's break this down into steps so we can understand the process, then we'll get to a solution.

Associate_1121
7 - Meteor

Hi Charlie,

The 0+0+1+1+1 represents the sum of the "Count" column which fall into the date range of Jan 1- Jan 5.

Essentially, the count of 1 represents "Yes" while the count of 0 represents "No". I already converted the Yes/No into a value of 0 or 1.

The range changes (see range column). The range is inclusive (January 1-January 5 would include January 1st and January 5th). Each row has a date and an end date. This constitutes the range for each row. I need to know the sum of the counts for every row that has a Date that falls within that range. In the picture above, row 1 has a range from Jan 1, 2015 through July 2, 2016. I need a separate output column to tell me how many "Yes" there are (indicated by a "1" so that we can use Sum or Count), which have a date within that range.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The date ranges you provided in your example are over a year in length (ex: 2015-01-01 to 2016-07-02), they all contain the dates Jan 1 - Jan 5. Shouldn't all of the rows be Count=1 ?

Associate_1121
7 - Meteor

Sorry, the count is based on different data (a yes/no question previously answered). Each individual date is either marked as yes or no and therefore now has a 0 or 1. The picture is what the input file will look like. I want to be able to put this in and then the output will tell me how many yes responses there are within the range. The data set continues on for 4,000 rows.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

So the Input table of Range|Count will be an input file, and the user will select a date range to sum the Count column within? Will the user select Year/Month/Day or just Month/Day?

Labels