Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sum rows until it reaches a certain row

D_Y
8 - Asteroid

I have a worksheet that looks like this:

DepartmentsValue
Blue Department Total0
Blue Department 12
Blue Department 21
Red Department Total4
Red Department 14

I'm trying to fill in the value for Blue Department Total to be 3, similar to how Red Department Total is already filled out correctly. I need this to be dynamic as some departments are filled out correctly and some aren't. 

I tried using a Multi-Row formula but wasn't sure how to sum a dynamic number of rows before stopping at the next "section", e.g. Red Department in this case. 

3 REPLIES 3
mattvandivier
6 - Meteoroid

Instead of trying to configure a dynamic multi-row formula, have you considered using the cross-tab tool to separate your data out into a column for each department, sum it from there, and then reshape it all back using the transpose tool into the format you ultimately need?

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @D_Y, please see one way of solving this. Of the final solution may depend on what you actually have on you data for the department names.

gabrielvilella_0-1643767824054.png

D_Y
8 - Asteroid

Thanks! 

Labels