Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sum fields if multiple criteria are met

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Reference the sample dataset below.  Basically I need to sum A-B or A-(B+E) for all ITEMS that have either a B, E, or B and E cost type. 

IF ITEM is the same, and cost type B is present (but not E), subtract the sum of B from A

IF ITEM is the same, and both cost B and E are present, subtract the sum of B+E from A.

I know that I can use a Multi Row to subtract B from A if B exists.  I assume I can do the same for B and E and then subtract from A. But, I am hoping there is simpler way of doing it. 

ITEMCOST TYPEValue
TrucksA341
PlanesA2355
PlanesC3252
BoatsA

BoatsB

BoatsE

Boats L

RocketsA

RocketsB

5 REPLIES 5
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hellyars 

Does that suit you? It's a different approach, I don't know if it's good for you.

hellyars.PNG

Cheers,

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@hellyars 

If you'd like to keep it in rows, you could tranpose it back, using transpose tool.

Cheers,

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Looks interesting.  I am going to test it with the real data, which is a bit messier (with multiple value years).  I will get back to you.

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

It works - but a lot of flipping.  Get's a little busy when you are dealing with multiple value years (e.g., call value 2016, the add similar columns for 2017 and 2018).  

Thanks

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@hellyars 

No problem. It's just a quick idea, but of course depending on data structure and size, some changes and adaptions are needed.

No model is perfect all the time.

Cheers,

Labels