Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Suggestion: Mask for numeric fields in Results window so that they show commas

aduplessie
7 - Meteor

Hello all,

When looking at the Results window, I often find it a headache to read the numeric results because of the lack of commas. I understand that incorporating commas into the data itself could make for some weird errors; however, would it be possible to toggle an option that displays all numeric fields with proper commas in the Results window alone? What are your thoughts?

For example:

Example.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
TonyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @aduplessie

The commas within the sales field will require converting that data type to a string, and thus, losing all numeric functionality in the workflow.

For display purposes, you can use the ToString function in the formula tool to convert numeric fields to strings and include appropriate commas.

ToString(x, numDec, addThousandsSeparator, decimalSeparator)

Converts a numeric parameter to a string using numDec decimal places. By default, the period is used as the decimal separator.

aduplessie
7 - Meteor

Hey Tony!

You are right on with converting between numeric and string types to get the appearance, though it loses the functionally. I am referring toward using a display mask to make numeric fields look like they have the thousands separators while retaining numeric functionality. Would you also find that to be useful? I've mocked up what that would look like in the attached picture.

Alteryx Display Mask example.JPG

TonyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks @aduplessie for the idea. I do believe it would be nice to have some added functionality to the results window as well. This post would serve well on the ideas section so other users can vote. Would you mind re-posting?

Alteryx Product Ideas

Thanks!

aduplessie
7 - Meteor

Will do! Thanks for the suggestion

boomhauer
5 - Atom

Is it possible to describe how to actually add a mask? The photo doesn't show how to do it. Also, the comment marked as a "solution" here isn't actually a solution. Would be great to see the actual solution to this question. Thanks!

TonyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @boomhauer

The topic has been moved to the products ideas page. Please vote for this added functionality there.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Mask-for-numeric-fields-in-Results-window-for...

Thanks!

Labels