Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Subtraction

amorej
5 - Atom

Such a simple thing but I keep getting a "Parse Error".  I don't know why.  I am trying to add a column that will contain Gross Amount 2 - DTV Revenue Keep

5 REPLIES 5
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @amorej,

This error happens when the data types your using are incorrect. You can only add and subtract numbers, your data is text shown here:

IraWatt_0-1659636779006.png

Set your columns to be a numeric data type such as a double:

IraWatt_1-1659636816273.png

And the formula will work.

Any questions or issues please ask

Ira Watt
Technical Consultant
Watt@Bulien.com 

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @amorej, have you double checked the data types of your 2 fields? Most likely one of them is still a string and you’re trying to apply numerical functions to it.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@amorej ,

The default datatype is  a STRING.  Each of your components for "Subtraction" needs to be a numeric data type {Byte, Int, Double, Fixed, Float}.

If you look at the type that you are currently subtracting, you'll see that it isn't numeric.  My guess is that the other fields referenced are  not either.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
amorej
5 - Atom

Thank you.  That worked.  

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

No worries @amorej  😄 You can find some good quick videos on how data types work here on the community Understanding Data Types - Alteryx Community or just check the docs your feeling brave Data Types | Alteryx Help.

Labels