Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Subtracting total of duplicate rows from a different field

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

I'm working on converting some Excel data to Alteryx and have been having trouble with one of the formulas. I have two columns of values and the excel file is is using a sumif to compare the TOTAL of values in Value 2 to the value listed in Value 1 for two possible actions:

New Value Action #1: if value 1<value 2 then use value 1

New Value Action #2: if value 1<the total of multiple value 2 keys, the subtract total value 2 from value 1

johneodell_2-1576010246913.png

I know my explanation is a bit confusing so let me know if you have any clarifying questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
GaurVitul
7 - Meteor

Can you please explain how you are getting 50 in column D for row 5?

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

What the original formula is doing is subtracting Value 1 from the total of Value 2 and replacing the second entry with the result:

(Value 2 + Value 2) - Value 1

(200 + 100) - 250 = 50

GaurVitul
7 - Meteor

thanks!

Are you trying to execute below condition in the same column?

If value 1 < value 2 and value 1 < (value 1 + value 2), then (value 1 + value 2) - value 1 

elseif If value 1 < value 2 and value 1 > (value 1 + value 2), value 1

else null?

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Do you want the two "actions" to create separate columns or should both sets of rules be consolidated for a single new column. 

If I understand your criteria correctly, the attached workflow should work for your purposes. I demonstrated both separate new columns and a consolidated one. Essentially, you want to find the total of column 2 and then add these values to each record for the comparison. 

Let me know if that helps or if you need further adjustments/clarification. 

echuong1_0-1576013812582.png

johneodell
8 - Asteroid

@echuong1 So simple and it works!! Thank you! It makes me feel better that I was close to that but you pushed it over the finish line.

Thanks!!!

Labels