Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Subtracting numbers should be 0 comes up with difference

kierabohan
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

I feel a little crazy with this ask - because it seems so simple, but I cannot find a similar post.  I am trying to subtract two numbers - one from an input file (Fixed Decimal), and one that I calculated in Alteryx (Fixed Decimal).  These two numbers are equal in the export to excel (comes up with a difference of 0) however when I try to calc the difference in Alteryx it comes up with a really small difference (ex - .0000000000015).  Why is this difference coming up?

5 REPLIES 5
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

All formula calculations in Alteryx treat numbers as doubles (even if the value is a fixed decimal).

This can lead to precision errors like you are seeing.

ThizViz
11 - Bolide

Just going to chime in because I dealt with a very similar issue that drove me nuts until I contacted support. In my case, I had NULLS in the data I was putting into Alteryx which was causing my results to differ from what Excel was showing. So just in case the proposed solution doesn't work, try tossing a formula into your workflow to convert NULLs to zero. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Formula-Tool-Replace-NULL-in-all-colum...

@thizviz aka cbridges, Bolide
http://community.alteryx.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2328
kierabohan
6 - Meteoroid

That makes sense, is there a way to make it subtracted on fixed decimals? Or maybe I should round the numbers and then subtract.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

No - all formulas are based on doubles I believe.

I would probably be tempted to round the result to an appropriate level of decimal places.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@kierabohan,

A similar post appeared recently:  Different Results of FixedDecimal where values of 10.245 and 100.245 round to 10.24 and 10.25 when using Fixed Decimals.  I solved (in my opinion solved) the issue using a regular expression to consistently round the data after proving the precision issue using a Floor() function.

ToNumber(Regex_Replace(ToString([Before]),"(\d+)(\.\d*)",'$1')) + 
Round(ToNumber(Regex_Replace(ToString([Before]),"(\d+)(\.\d*)",'$2')),.01)

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels