Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Subtotals only summing "random" columns when adding new row

dberroth
8 - Asteroid

I've tried about 10 different solutions on the boards to my problem. I'm basically splitting up some data, then bringing it back together and joining from another file, and just want to sum the columns to a new row for totals. I've tried looking at a number of reasons why this won't work, but I can't find the reason why some columns are summing then the others it's putting a null, then creating another column at the end of the worksheet with a value. I know this is pretty vague, but don't know how else to word this. Is there just a basic subtotal insert new row function I can put right after the union of whats 'unioned' together?

dberroth_0-1579895558157.png

5 REPLIES 5
dberroth
8 - Asteroid

Here is the view when I go in to the add totals option, everything is selected but once again, on the output, some columns come out null when there is clearly data, then decides to create new columns on the end such as " _1" with the values, I dunno?

dberroth_0-1579895753087.png

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dberroth ,

One possible reason to the null values could be due to null values between the fields you are using to realize the sum. If so, you could use a data cleansing tool before the subtotal tool to replace all null values by 0.

Let me know if that is your case.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

dberroth
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it didn't fix my issue. It's weird cause I don't see duplicate columns until I run this tool, then all of a sudden these show up in yellow and this is where the values are going on the totals row, then all the fields in these columns are nulls but with the totals, makes no sense to me why this is being created

dberroth_0-1579896652996.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @dberroth 

Which macro are you using to add your total rows?  The icon looks like the Crews Macro Add Totals but the configuration window doesn't match.  Here's the config of the most recent one.

addtotals.png

Dan

dberroth
8 - Asteroid

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following your question. I think I finally got the totals to come out by using the equalization tool then union this row back to the original data, it's not desired but I think this will work. Unfortunately this method adds a new column header

Labels