Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Submit data via an app

muns
7 - Meteor

Hi - I am new to Alteryx so please forgive the broad conceptual question.

I am wondering if the following existing process (done in excel) could be done via Alteryx (perhaps with an app?):

- create and populate multiple excel files

- send excel files via email to users

- users amend data and return via email 

- users amendments are then updated manually into a master file

- analyse difference between original data and amended data

My main query is whether an app could allow the users to input their amendments and then submit?

I'm aware that Alteryx can output to excel and email files but I would like to remove the need to go outside of the system if possible.

Many thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @muns,

this is definitely achievable!

Without overcomplicating the solution unnecessarily, you could set up the following:

App1 - for your users to be able to get your Excel files:

- create and populate multiple excel files (through an Alteryx workflow)

- send excel files via email to users  publish App1 on Alteryx Server. User connects to Gallery through a web browser, runs your app and downloads the Excel files.

App2: for your users to be able to return amended files to you

- users amend data and return via email  user uploads amended files on App2

- users amendments are then updated manually into a master file: can this be replaced by an automated Alteryx workflow? Could be part of App2 or separate workflows triggered by App2

- analyse difference between original data and amended data: same as above

Hope this helps, but feel free to post more details if you want to dig deeper into this.

Giuseppe

rafalolbert
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @muns,

@GiuseppeC has got some great points, a few more i would like to add to the conversation are:

- how do you compare the original file vs. the amended file (you could leverage the filename to be unique and significant, very often i use timestamp in the file name - up to second accuracy: "filename_" + DateTimeFormat(DateTimeNow(),"%Y_%m_%d_%H_%M_%S")

- maybe filename is insignificant and you only care about the records within the file, in this case please ignore the above

- consider some common space/file share (network drive) space for both original files as well as amended files (separate locations for both) - to make the file selection easy for the end user, you could consider 'Tree' tool from 'Interface' palette, the selection can then populate 'Dynamic Input' and get the right file into the app/workflow very quickly (i have this pattern deployed across a few apps)

- finally, you could consider SharePoint, if email delivery is your priority - you can create SharePoint lists that accept email delivery and you could then retrieve the attachments this way (i have this scenario in some of my use cases, however this is slightly more involved in terms of development effort)

Thanks,

Rafal

#Excuse me, do you speak Alteryx? 

muns
7 - Meteor

Thanks very much @GiuseppeC.

I will now take some time to explore how to set up an App starting with these helpful posts.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/How-to-build-an-App/td-p/38149

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Alteryx-Gallery-Series-App-Publishing...

If you know of any existing material that is more specific to my example then please let me know.

Many thanks for your help!

muns
7 - Meteor

Thanks Rafal.

I am brand new to Alteryx (1st day with access) so I will now spend some time to learn the basics with the aim of replacing the process that I outlined with a Alteryx workflow and App.

I'm sure I will be back with many more specific questions along the way!

emilielesinski
5 - Atom

Hi! Do you have any example workflows that would carry out these operations? I am looking to build two apps, one to allow users to download template Excel files, and one to have them submit their edited templates. Thanks in advance for your help!

Labels