Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

String to numbers Multiple fields

davidgosselin
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone,

I have a question on how to convert strings to numbers for my data. I attached a sample of the data I have(I included all types of strings I have in my file) and the desired outcome in the the secont sheet. I do not know if there is a simple way of doing this since I have hundreds of columns(for which the headers sometimes contain numbers that i don't want to change). 

Could somone help me with this matter,

Thank you in advance

6 REPLIES 6
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

HI @davidgosselin,

here is a way to do it: 

grossal_1-1585502753490.png

Output:

grossal_0-1585502743735.png

You will notice that the first cell is different, but in my eyes your desired output was wrong, because E-4 will be cutoff with only two digits.

Workflow attached. Let me know if it helps.

Best

Alex

davidgosselin
6 - Meteoroid

This workflow would do it but the problem with this one is that I have hundreds of columns I would not want to manually select each one of them, I would want it to be done without have to select them. Would there be a way to do it?

Thank you for your time Alex,

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @davidgosselin, you could use a combination of transpose, formula tool, and crosstab to achieve this objective.

AbhilashR_0-1585503843959.png

Attached is an implementation of the logic.

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

grossal_0-1585504140736.png

You can choose to select all and than deselect the Type-Column @davidgosselin.

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@davidgosselin - just to add a tiny detail to @grossal's most recent post, as long as you uncheck Type field and check the Dynamic or Unknown Fields option, all new columns in your dataset will be processed in the Multi-Field formula tool. The Dynamic or Unknown Fields option is our way of instructing Alteryx to process new fields being introduced in the source data.

davidgosselin
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you to both of you! Yes Alex I guess this will be the best way for now, thank you

Labels