Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

String pasing challenge

HA
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I need to parse a large text file and one of the requirements is to find a specific tag 671= extract it's value and repeat it until end of the record ( there might be 0 or more 671= in each record and I need all of them ). Actually there are many other parsing that needs to be applied but the rest are easy if I can successfully parse the values for this tag. Since we don't know how many tags are in each record I cannot use set number of fields and I was thinking maybe the best way is to use Text to columns tool with split to rows option selected, and hoping I can generate as many as rows that are 671= tags and then apply my additional logic there.

As a simplified example lets say I have one single record ( please see the attachment)   in this record there are 3 671= tags. I would like to generate an output or three records and two columns. First column contains the entire string and second record substring starting for 671= tax to the end of the string, so we will have three records with column 1 that has identical string for each record and column 2 which has substrings of the first column and each has a different substring.

I hop I was clear in my explanation of requirements and I would appreciate any suggestion or help  

1 REPLY 1
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

How about a Regex tool set to Tokenize splitting into Rows with the expression:

671=(.*?)\s

regex tokenize.png

The Record ID and Join tools are for bringing the original string back in.

Labels