Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

String operations for many columns

ulrich_schumann
8 - Asteroid

Dear all,

I received a data source with almost 100 columns. Unfortunately almost all cells contain in brackets the year when the data was last updated. Usually I would run a string operation to remove all unwanted entries the the row and would repeat where additional needed. But I don't want to run this string operation for almost 100 fields. Is there any chance to apply the string operation for all existing columns?

Thanks for your support!

5 REPLIES 5
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Perfect case for the Multi-Field Formula tool.

You can apply the same formula you normally use for one column to multiple columns at the same time.

ulrich_schumann
8 - Asteroid

Hi RodL,

I still have some problems as

- not all the fields have the year in brackets

- sometimes there is just a (0) instead of e.g. (2015)

so I cannot just apply a sting operation "right". I uploaded an short example to show the details.

I also tried to just switch the field from string to double which removes the brackets but the decimals as well.

So I cannot use the Multi-Field Formula, can I?

ulrich_schumann
8 - Asteroid

When I exclude all  'real' text fields within the Multi-Field Formula tool this string operation worked for me. Still quite a lot of effort to go through all fields, but at least it solved my problem.

Left([_CurrentField_], Length([_CurrentField_])-(Length([_CurrentField_])-FindString([_CurrentField_], "(")))

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

After looking at your data, I'm thinking this expression should work with all Text fields selected...

Trim(REGEX_Replace([_CurrentField_], "\(\d*\)", ""))

With the consistency in the values in the parentheses, the RegEx is an easier way to go.

ulrich_schumann
8 - Asteroid

Great - this works even better!

Labels