Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Store registers in order to sum a field with the previous one.

sergonza117
5 - Atom

Hi everyone,

I'm working in a workflow that compares two files, one is ingested monthly and is filled with a budget for different items, the second file is ingested daily, this file has the same items IDs as the monthly one, but instead of a budget the file contains the daily spending for each item, the idea after the ETL is to set an alarm (email,sms,tweet) when the daily spent is 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% or more of the budget, so far so good, I'm good with the ETL, the formulas to flag the items in the different scenarios and the alarms, but what I can't figure out is how to store the daily spent, I need to save today's spent in order to sum it with tomorrows and so on to compare this with the budget.

The best scenario is save everyday results in a database but I have no access to a database yet so I'm tied using excel files. I was thinking in output this files and then read it in bulk, does anyone have a better idea?.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
RobertOdera
12 - Quasar

Hi, @sergonza117 

Given your constraints, I can only offer brute force approach.

Similar to what you're doing except:

1. consider outputting the daily files as .yxdb versus excel in your secured shared drive

2. run an aggregation flow every week that consolidates the daily files into weekly files .yxdb

3. run an aggregation flow every month that consolidates the weekly files into monthly files .yxdb

4. at day 1 of new week, you can delete prior daily and at day 1 of new month you can delete prior weekly

Long shot.

OR use one initial flow (day 1), but add field RunDate = DateTimeToday() in YYYY-MM-DD

Run appending flow which will add the new days to the existing file

Cheers!

Labels