Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Store User Input from Textbox as Column Name

andrewc22
7 - Meteor

I would like to store the user input string from a text box as a column name in a formula tool

My application takes in 2 files and the user will name the files, I need the names of the files so the user can know which data is from either file in the output excel sheet. I am having trouble storing the input, my workflow will only hard code whatever name I type in the formula tool instead of replacing it with the user input string.

I have included a screenshot of my workflow below

4 REPLIES 4
pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @andrewc22 

See attached for the WF.

In the action tool, you need to make sure to flag the field or part of the field you want it to replace. In this case I want to replace in my formula function "Name".

pedrodrfaria_0-1614965742644.png

Pedro.

andrewc22
7 - Meteor

I tried this but it wouldnt work, do you think it is due to the column name I am trying to replace is created in the formula tool? @pedrodrfaria 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@andrewc22 Can you send a screen shot of how your action tool is configured? 

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Oh @andrewc22 , you want to replace the column name? and not the data?

You would then need to do this.

pedrodrfaria_0-1614967537646.png

However, I'm not sure the logic you have set up, but changing the column name will affect the tools used afterwards with the column named used to create the workflow.

Labels