Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Stopping a part of Workflow when a condition fails

prachigupta93
5 - Atom

I am working on a workflow with 2 streams that are populating 2 different tables.  I want to stop one stream if there is no data for the first table but do not want to stop the other part populating the the second table. 

I tried using test tool but that stopped the whole workflow and second table was also not populated. Is there any better way to do this?

4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Interesting challenge. You could do something using a block until done tool.

The outputs of this are sequenced so you could ensure the table you want to write to is attached on output 1

The one that should conditionally be written to could be after a test tool on output 2.

prachigupta93
5 - Atom

The only issue in this approach is as the test tool is between the workflow, as soon as that fails the workflow stops even before it reaches to the output tools.

ramesh_neel
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

@prachigupta93  -   I have tried to replicate this scenario using 2 text inputs (one with data and one without ) and create 2 files based on a condition . If you run the workflow the second container which creates the fle , would fail and not create the file as there is no record flowing in but the first one would continue running and create a file . Hope this helps . Can you try this approach ?

Alteryx ACE | Sydney Alteryx User Group Lead | SparkED Contributor and Mentor
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ramesh_neel 

I think what @prachigupta93  is trying to achieve is if there is no data from one the stream it should not execute only that part of the workflow. Message tool error will stop the whole workflow. Not just a part of it. 

Labels