Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Stop reading/loading Input data from second container before first container job is done.

cito
8 - Asteroid

Hello folks,

I have been trying to find a solution for my problem and I have tried generic "Block Until Done", then CReW Macros "Parallel Block Until Done" but still haven't resolved it.

So, what is the point?

Alteryx - Stop Until.JPG

As you can see from the picture, I have multiple input connections split in two containers ( 1 and 2).

Now, when I run the flow all Inputs start at the same time and this is my problem. I would like to "split" reading/loading data in two sections.

So, is it possible when I run the flow to load the data from container 1 and when it's done, then start with reading/loading the data from the second container?

Thank you in advance. 

31 REPLIES 31
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cito ,

This is interesting because they both run in parallel until the union. The easiest way around this is to put the second container and everything after it in a macro. Then feed the output of the first container into the macro with a block until done before the macro. This means it will load everything from the first container before proceeding to the macro, whereupon the second container will be triggered.

This is the easiest way of achieving this.

M.

Bulien

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @cito 

Its great that your are using CREW Block until done its better than normal one. Here is what you can do, you need to control input flow. Instead of using normal input tool use dynamic input tool. Layout like below.

atcodedog05_0-1621957155976.png

Use CREW block until done not normal. This way you can read files in a sequence. The paths to dynamic input are passed from the text input tool.

Hope this helps 🙂

cito
8 - Asteroid

Hello @mceleavey - not sure if I understood you correctly, but how did you mean to put the second container in the macro since I do not have "IN" anchors there?

cito_0-1621958151518.png

Thanks.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cito ,

if you share your workflow (no need to include data) I can build it for you.

M.

Bulien

cito
8 - Asteroid

Here you go.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @cito 

Did you give the above dynamic tool approach a try. Did it work ? if not, what were the issues 😅

PS: dynamic input tool works for DB connection too. Just saw your file they were DB connections😅

cito
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05- what does mean "Paths" here and how to populate it? 🙂

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @cito 

In your scenario it might be SQL queries 🙂. The SQL query is passed to dynamic input tool.

Tool doc : https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/dynamic-input-tool#:~:text=Use%20Dynamic%20Input%20to%20re...

cito
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05I did not understand your approach to be honest, actually the start of the process I don't understand - what do I need to put in "Paths"?

Labels