Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Stop Workflow if Condition Not Met and Message Error

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I need to start setting up QC check points in my workflows.

I need to check there are no empty fields for certain records (a tiny subset) do not contain null or empty values. I want a warning and ideally I want the workflow to stop. 

In the scenario below, I need to know if any records with the S/N 9999999999 have any corresponding isempty() or isnull() values in the fields NAME and REGION.

I need an alert that stops the workflow and says this is why.

S/NNAMEREGION
9999999999MIKEWEST
9999999999SEANnull()
9999999999MARKEAST
9999999999CHASENORTH
9999999999 SOUTH

7 REPLIES 7
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

The Message tool should be able to accomplish this.  You can connect your datastream and use full formula functionality within the configuration of the tool.  Check out the Tool Mastery Index for it:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Message/ta-p/36308.

Jonny
11 - Bolide

Hello @hellyars,

how about that?

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Cheers!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @hellyars 

You definitely need message tool. Here is 2 approaches.

Approach 1:

atcodedog05_0-1622615202404.png

In this approach even though this stops the flows, it stop the flow from the row on which error occurred. But the previous rows will still be passed. 

Approach 2:

atcodedog05_1-1622615336650.png

In this approach i am counting blanks and appending it to all rows. And in message tool i am checking is count >0 if yes no rows are passed forward.

Hope this helps 🙂

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@atcodedog05  Sorry for the delay.  This totally helps.  Thanks!

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@Jonny  Oh, that's interesting.  I like the use of the Block tool.  What is that macro?

Jonny
11 - Bolide

Nope is not a macro, it is a Developer's tool, as the Message tool as well.

Jonny_0-1622736057113.png

If you can't see the Developer's tab, check this out: Solved: Not seeing the Developer's tab - Looking for dynam... - Alteryx Community

cheers!

suryaveera
5 - Atom
Labels