Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Standardize / Normalize Metrics

Gtrujillo
6 - Meteoroid

Does anyone know of a tool or formula in Alteryx that can standardize / normalize data?  I see there's a standarize_unit-interval supporting macro but can not find this in Designer.  Here's the use case: I have 100,000 records of calls that were answered from productX and 15,000 records of calls abandoned from productY.  I need to standardize / normalize the data so it's comparable.  Thanks for the help!   

11 REPLIES 11
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

They standardization processes used in tools such as the K-Centroids Cluster Analysis are found in the

"C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\Macros\Predictive Tools\Supporting_Macros" directory (if default installation settings are used).

You can find both an Unit Interval and a Z-Score method there.

Gtrujillo
6 - Meteoroid

Ah, I'm not sure how I missed this.  Thank you @RodL!

ToddM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I would love to see standardization (Z scores) appear in the Summarize tool's add -> numeric menu.  Standardized inputs are a very common requirement of analytics algorithms. . . .

Gtrujillo
6 - Meteoroid

@ToddM - this is a great idea and would be extremely useful.

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Great idea!

One of you needs post the idea on the Ideas section of the Community, and then the rest of you need to vote for it. Smiley Happy

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You'll get a star from me - that's a great feature!

Gtrujillo
6 - Meteoroid

I've posted the idea here: http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Add-Standardization-Z-Scores-to-Summarize-tool....  Wasn't sure how to tag you in the post but thank you ToddM for your awesome suggestion!

KevinMcCoy
5 - Atom

I created a macro that will normalize/denormalize datasets. Additionally, it will also normalize new datasets based off of the parameters from your initial model building normalizing metrics (so that you can use an old model on new data).

It's located at Feature Normalization.

EvanSchmidt
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Kevin,

Would love to try you macro but couldn't get it to work.

Do you have any basic instructions?

Labels