Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Standard macro errors on "ended by a downstream tool" error

MartWClimber
9 - Comet

I've got a couple of macro's within a workflow I created. it workflow itself runs most of the time but lately i'm getting the 

(ended by a downstream tool)

error. the Macro that errors sometimes:

MartWClimber_0-1666258293281.png

As far as I know (and googled) this is because how Alteryx used to operate (before 10.0) needing to put a browse tool after an unconnected tool. 

from what I read is that this kind of old logic is still present within the batch macro in designer. 

https://www.thedataschool.co.uk/angelos-pachis/troubleshooting-a-batch-macro-alteryx-tip 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Batch-macro-only-iterates-one-time-exp... 

i'm wondering if this old logic is also present within other macro types, because I'm getting this error in a standard macro.

the standard macro this error occurs in is a simple marco that is using other macro input in it. the other macro's are also ALL standard macro's.

NOTE: yellow line is to show the one wireless connection I forgot to make wired 

MartWClimber_1-1666258928455.png

What I want to know is, do (standard) macro's in general experience this kind of behavior? or is the "ended by a downstream tool" error specific to an batch macro.

4 REPLIES 4
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @MartWClimber 

Try to add a browser tool after the macro. Unfortunately, if the output of the macro is not being used in any process, alteryx seems to understand that it can stop the processing.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1666261434784.png

This is a problem that even became an idea for a possible future correction (since 2018 at least), here you can see the topic and vote for it.

Update the macro tool's output anchor functionalit... - Alteryx Community

MartWClimber
9 - Comet

@Felipe_Ribeir0 is this for all the macro types? because in posts I only see people talk about batch macro's

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

It is a common problem for batch macros, but you can find this error in some other situations, like this one, for a teradata connector.

Solved: Data extraction issue - Alteryx Community

Did you try to put the browse and it did not work?

MartWClimber
9 - Comet

@Felipe_Ribeir0 thx for the link. Looks like Alteryx didn't fully test everything (back then) and just release stuff 😞

Labels