Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Standard Salesforce Fields not Available via Input and Output Connectors

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

Hello,

I'm running into an issue where not all fields on the Order object are accessible via the Salesforce Input and Output connectors.  Specifically, I'm getting the following error:

• The following fields are not members of the target table: EndDate

I've checked every visibility and security setting I can think of and have found no anomalies.  I've also verified that the field shows up correctly in Salesforce reports, via the API in Eclipse, and even in Tableau reports (all using the same user account).  Other Alteryx community posts have suggested that there may be an API version issue, but EndDate is supposedly accessible at least back to version 30.  

Does anybody have any clues as to why the Salesforce connectors would exclude certain standard fields but include others (it shows custom fields fine as well)?

Thanks,

Rick

11 REPLIES 11
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@rpaugh

Error: Salesforce Output: The following fields are not members of the target table’

• Please check that all the tables and output fields exist. As stated above the Salesforce Output tool will not create new tables or fields

Are you able to get to the EndDate field using the custom query?

There are API versions that may be limiting what fields come into Alteryx. Tableau and Eclipse may be using different API versions.

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

All tables and output fields exist - as they can be consumed by other applications such as Tableau and Eclipse.  

No, I am not able to get to the EndDate via custom query:

Alteryx Field Error.png

Granted, Tableau and Eclipse might be using a newer API, but as I mentioned in my original post the EndDate field has been accessible since at least API version 30 whereas the Alteryx SFDC connector is using a newer version than that (I'm going to check with my admin on this just to be sure though).  From what I gather this field has been part of the Order object for a long time so I'm not sure what would be affecting it's accessibility - especially since I can access StartDate just fine.

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

Found the problem.  I went into the Salesforce Input connector macro itself and found that the initial call is using API version 34.0...

Alteryx-SFDC API Call 1_2017-03-07_13-04-14.png

...whereas subsequent calls are only using version 20.0...

Alteryx-SFDC API Call 2_2017-03-07_13-04-40.png

Alteryx-SFDC API Call 3_2017-03-07_13-05-04.png

Not sure why this is, but the field I'm after is not available all the way back to version 20.0.

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @rpaugh,

Just for some clarification, the initial call in the tool that you've identified is using the SOAP API to verify, hence v34 whereas the following calls are using v20 of the REST API. The Salesforce tool in v11 uses a later version of the REST API (I think it's v36, but don't quote me on that). So, you should see the required fields in v11.

Tableau updated to v30 of the API in v9 of Tableau when they built their new connector. Currently I think they use SOAP for Auth, and a combination of REST, BULK & SOAP API's for download. Not sure what Eclipse uses...

Kane

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

Based on Salesforce's REST API information located here, the version in the Salesforce connector (see the screenshots in my previous post) matches the version listed for the Winter 2011 release of Salesforce.  I reviewed the field list for that version via the Salesforce workbench and EndDate was not available - hence my problem:

REST Order Field List - 2017-03-09_12-17-15.png

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@rpaugh I found that you can actually update the API version in the SalesForce tool if you wanted, You will probably want to create a second tool or at least make a copy of the file you will need to adjust. This isn't a supported action, but may help. You are looking for this Folder - C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\HtmlPlugins\SalesForceInput. In this Folder you will find a Java Script file names SalesForce. You can edit the file in a text editor to the API version you want to use. You will see APIversion at the top of the page.

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

@DanM I will be working with our server admin tomorrow on this and will let you know how it goes.

Just curious, why would Alteryx update the SOAP request version for authentication, but not the REST request version for the actual data retrieval?

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Just to clarify, the SOAP API hasn't been updated, it is an older API. v34 of the SOAP API was probably released before v20 of the REST API...
rpaugh
11 - Bolide

I upgraded to Alteryx version 11 this week and all of the previously missing fields are now visible, so problem solved!

Labels