Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Standard Macro not return Macro results

gesh2112
7 - Meteor

I am trying to create my first macro.  It seemed really easy.  The macro returns the correct results in the macro.  When I tried to use the macro in a workflow it returns 1 row 1 column.  It seems to be returning what tool was the previous one before it exits the macro.  Can someone give me an idea what I did wrong?

Inside Macro.

gesh2112_0-1594652175499.png

In workflow.

gesh2112_2-1594652406468.png

gesh2112_3-1594652446207.png

11 REPLIES 11
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Are you supposed to be passing in a website URL into your macro from a text input beforehand?

gesh2112
7 - Meteor

Yes.  The macro needs a web page input to retrieve the data from Seismic.  The connection to seismic is a two step process and the first website is static and the second one is inputted into the macro from the workflow.  I need to create 20 workflows to pull data out of Seismic.  I am creating a macro so the first part returns the data into a table so if for some reason passwords change I only have to change it in one spot instead of 20.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

In the screenshot of the workflow it looks like you don't have anything connected to the macro on the left hand side. Are you using a Macro Input tool within your macro? If it is expecting data and nothing is being fed in it would make sense that nothing is coming out. 

Could you share the interface tools that you are using in your macro? It would be helpful to understand if you are using a Macro Input vs Control parameters. 

gesh2112
7 - Meteor

Here is a screen shot of my macro.  Yes, I am using an input tool to bring in the different website for the second website.  The first website is in the Macro Input.  

gesh2112_0-1594663549369.png

gesh2112
7 - Meteor

I started up Fiddler and I don't think it is even running my macro.  There is nothing getting sent or receive from Seismic.  I placed another macro output after the running the first page and it comes back with.  Is there a way to figure out what is causing the macro not to run?

gesh2112_0-1594664936912.png

gesh2112
7 - Meteor

So I have been moving the second macro output to figure out what maybe causing the macro not to work.  I now have it located right after the Macro Input.

gesh2112_0-1594668152026.png

You see running it inside the macro brings back the first web site in record 1.  But if I run it in the workflow I get this.

gesh2112_2-1594668325313.png

gesh2112
7 - Meteor

Brandon you where right.  Even though I have a static web page in the macro on the first step.  It still needed me to pass in the static web page again.  I am now getting data.

Thanks for your help.

gesh2112_0-1594668829836.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I figured that may be the case. You may also consider taking an alternate approach and leveraging a control parameter to feed in a list of URLs rather than a macro input tool. This will run your workflow one time for every URL row that is passed in as an input. This would be using a batch macro rather than a standard macro. Your decision will ultimately depend on how dynamic the inputs are in nature and what configuration is required. 

url.png

Training on a batch macro if you are interested: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Build-Your-First-Batch-Macro/td-p/52900

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

When you use a Macro Input in a standard macro, it is really more of a placeholder than anything. The real data gets passed in upstream and flows into it. 

Labels