Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Splitting text contained in brackets from a column

Bigmonki
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Reg Ex is something that defeats me every time, mainly because I cannot get my head around the actual expression.

My requirement is to take the data included in the last set of brackets and put it in a separate column, so the data I currently have:

Name
System 1 PreProd(Rev8-30-9304E-30)

System 2 Pre-Prod - 24275 (E32)(Rev8-30-9304E-32)

System 3 SANDPIT (Test pack)(Rev8-30-9304E-32)

How I would like it to look:

Name                                                                Version                           Iteration
System 1 PreProd                                             Rev8-30-9304                E-30

System 2 Pre-Prod - 24275 (E32)                     Rev8-30-9304                E-32

System 3 SANDPIT (Test pack)                        Rev8-30-9304                E-32

Could anyone advise me if I should use text to columns or Reg Ex, if Reg Ex, how should I write the expression.

TIA

4 REPLIES 4
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @Bigmonki ,

Here is my take on the problem mentioned.

I hope it helps

Sapna Gupta
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This expression in the RegEx Tool (set to Parse) might also work,

(.*)\((.*)(\w-\d+)

Philip 

Bigmonki
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Thanks for your help, sometimes it is harder to see the simple stuff. Problem solved.

Stay safe

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @Bigmonki 

Great! @grazitti_sapna  and @PhilipMannering  already helped you out.

Here is a link to help you see what the regex is doing:

https://regexr.com/

I also still chase rabbits when trying to Regex!

Cheers!

Labels