Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Splitting sections of an Excel sheet.

JetCoder
6 - Meteoroid

I have been trying different methods and just cant seem to get my head wrapped around this. I have an Excel Sheet that is produced by another group. It comes in with one sheet that has two sections. Each section has a header row. Each section could grow or shrink in the number of rows. The constant is that one of the rows will be the header and it is named the same thing every month. This header will begin the section, the section will end when we hit the next header row. So this would be my indicator as to where I need to start and begin my read. I am used to doing this sort of thing in vb.net by stopping an iteration when I hit that header value but I just can't get my brain to switch gears so I can do this in Alteryx. Below is an example of what I am trying to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Group Assessments
SubjectAssessmentsDateScore   
BlahBlah Blah Blah Blah     
Blahyackity smackity blah blah     
Each Monththere could be less records or more records from here on out down to the next header row     

Individual Assessments
SubjectAssessmentDateScore   
blahblah blah blah blah      
blahblah blah blah blah blah     
Each Month this could keep going until it hits the next empty row.     

6 REPLIES 6
danrh
13 - Pulsar

Something like this?

image.png

If your headers are the same every time you get the file, then you can keep a list of them in a Text Input, bounce it off your data to mark the header rows, then use a Multi-Row Formula tool to copy that down to each of the rows in between.  At this point, you might use a Filter to split the data, depending on what you need to do.

Hope it helps!

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Attaching a sample workflow for your case. 

Workflow.PNGResults.PNG

JetCoder
6 - Meteoroid

Ponrah, I checked out your solution but when I tried to open it, it would not open because you have a later version than me. My IT department only allows version 11.3.3.30523 at this time.

ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Just try the instruction in the following KO and see if it helps to make the workflow compatible with alteryx designer version you have on your machine. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Adjusting-Alteryx-Files-for-Different-Versio...

Regards,

Ponraj 

JetCoder
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Ponraj! I think the solution will work. Also the link you included worked for the versioning issue! I appreciate all of the replies I received for this issue. Thanks for a great community. I will post my final solution per the example when I finish it. Thanks!

JetCoder
6 - Meteoroid

Here is my finished example. Thanks for all the help!

NewSplitAssessments.PNG

Labels