Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Splitting mixed data into multiple columns with repeat preceding cell value

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Hello Everyone-

I am working on separating mixed data from one column into separate column and couldn't find a work around to achieve the same. The single column consists of Locator and LPN information mixed , example as shown below. The unique thing about a Locator is it will always has a "-" in the string while the LPN's will be continuous alpha numeric strings. 

locator.PNG

in my working logic i created a flag (1/0) to separate the Locators from LPN's (using "-" as an identifier) and then had LPN's on a separate column but the challenge is to get the parent locator adjacent to the LPN's. Please find the sample data which has input and required output fields. also, find in attached my WIP logic. 

Thank you very much. 

4 REPLIES 4
MD2050
8 - Asteroid

sorry couldn't get to attach multiple files .Thank you.

wiplogic.PNGwip_output.PNG

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

hi-

extended the logic to just pull "locators" in a separate column , please see below. if i can get to repeat the locator strings over the null cells until it hits the next locator that will resolve the issue. i can then filter out the LPN column to only pull non null cell it will solve the problem. Thanks.

wip_output2.PNG

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Was able to figure out the solution. Thank you. 

Below is the WF for reference , Multi Row formula did the magic. 

wip_output3.PNG

thecelinelow
5 - Atom

Hello! Do you mind sharing your workflow? I'm currently facing the same issue for a week.

Labels