Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Split/separate multiple fields into two other columns

Tmanuela
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

What would be the trick to split

See below for example highlighted columns - everything that is a time interval only - into the reading and attached a column that states the letter A, keeping the same time interval for the letter column, like the below-desired outcome:

Tmanuela_1-1650358561664.png

Attached is a raw data example.

Many thanks !! :)

M.

3 REPLIES 3
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Tmanuela ,

I don't understand the logic here. Your columns don't appear to have any logical order, it goes forward and backwards in time, and some are split and other aren't.

I can say that you probably only need the Text to Columns tool to split the fields on the - symbol, but without seeing the logic of what you're trying to do it's difficult to know.

I've built the workflow which first transposes the data into a single column to make this process easier:

mceleavey_0-1650365814048.png

You then use the Text to Columns tool to split on -

mceleavey_1-1650365850439.png

I then used two Crosstab tools, one to handle value 1 and one to handle value 2.

I then joined them together and renamed (there is a bit of an issue with the Crosstab tool in that it replaces special characters with underscores).

mceleavey_0-1650366052956.png

You then end up with the following:

mceleavey_2-1650365942432.png

You can then re-sort the column orders however you like using the Select tool.

You can find out more about the Text to Columns tool HERE.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

Tmanuela
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @mceleavey  Chris, my bad was I did not pay attention to the new header names but they should have been on same order as initially and you have guessed it perfect. The trick I needed was those separate crosstabs. 

You rock as always ;)

Best regards,

M.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

😁

no problem.gif

Bulien

Labels