Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Split files which will link to formulas in excel

terrellchong
8 - Asteroid

Hey community

I have a file that contains sensitive data which should not be view by other person

For example, in the sheet, the excel contains all the data, for person a b c d, but when it send to me, I have to split the data for person a b c d so that person a will only have data a, and doesn't include data b

All these data linked to a complex excel formula, which further calculates their numbers and fees

Just wondering if alteryx is able to split files for each person? So that I don't have to manually delete rows like I used to

If you do not have solution related to alteryx but there is in excel, please do let me know too. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @terrellchong 

Here is how you can do it.

1. In formula tool create filename like below.

atcodedog05_1-1631351474595.png

2. Configure output tool to output on filename column.

atcodedog05_4-1631351609660.png

This way it outputs to multiple columns.

atcodedog05_2-1631351534936.png

Hope this helps : )

terrellchong
8 - Asteroid

Hi atcode,

I tried, this method works! But now a follow up question comes in mind.

So now I had the file split, great! But I would like to keep the linkage between different person(Country).

I had attached a mock file, in the mock file you will find Summary, IN1 and IN2.

So the split data part will happen to IN1 and IN2, but how do I replace the value in IN1 and IN2 into that particular country only? For example, China file will only have China, no Peru, no Brazil and no Finland. 

As I found out splitting the files are not able to replace the value in mock file, like what I intended it to do, how do I create a file that only has China in IN1 and IN2, and also keeping the formulas in Summary (bare in mind I have many Summary sheet, this mock is only a part of the file), and name it as "Mock file_China.xlsx"?

I understand that if worst comes to worst, I will just copy-pasting it into the main file and let the calculation run on its own. Just would like to learn more alteryx and what I might not understand about its potential.

Thanks!

Labels