Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Split column header

barbaracnx
7 - Meteor

I need to split a column based on the header. I need the header to be in two separate columns

right now it reads:

clipboard_image_0.png

I need it to be two columns, one called Net production MMCF and one called 1906 base case. The data does not matter I 

10 REPLIES 10
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @barbaracnx I mocked up a workflow let me know what you think?

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @barbaracnx 

I have a feeling this is not going to be the solution you were looking for, but you didn't provide much information to go with to suggest some options. If you're only needing to split up that one specific header and the header name is static to your example, I couldn't see why just renaming that field to what you want and then using a Formula tool to create your new field. You mentioned (or started to mention) that the data doesn't matter so not sure what should go into it so it's just creating an empty value.

image.png

If this is not the solution you were expecting, can you provide more details? An example of what your expected output is also helpful.

Best,

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

barbaracnx
7 - Meteor

barbaracnx
7 - Meteor

@jrgo 

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @barbaracnx it should do as in the text to column I spilt using f so will create two columns from that point on.

barbaracnx
7 - Meteor

@JosephSerpis 

I think the only problem with this is that I have several other columns in my data, so I can't transpose the data like that because it would mess up all the other columns...

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @barbaracnx if it that specific column using a record ID create two streams one with the remaining data and the second stream is where you place the proposed workflow I created to splits the columns then you can join on Record ID with a Join this will ensure the data is not changed. If you are looking at more columns could you provide more details and an example of your data.

barbaracnx
7 - Meteor

@JosephSerpis This is what I have currently. My work flow provides a table that looks like this.

I need to keep everything the way it is, but I need the header of the column of the first row split at 1906.

clipboard_image_0.png

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @barbaracnx I've attached a workflow that showcases the approach I spoke about before where essentially you want to separate that first column and then spilt it out with another data stream with the remainder of your data left untouched which is then joined back to the data from the first column once you have successfully spilt the column. Let me know what you think?  

Labels