Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Split a stream into multiple streams based on values in a specific column

ryan_richardson
7 - Meteor

Hi- I just spoke with Alteryx support about this and they suggested I add this to the Community page. Basically, for an incoming data stream, I'd like to be able to "split" the file into unique files based on the value of a particular column. I've attached a file for reference- in this file, it would be great to be able to have the incoming data split according to the Brand or Vehicle Type fields, with each stream available for further manipulation after the split. 

While this can be accomplished one at a time with the Filter tool, for large files with 50+ "split-by" values, it would be great to accomplish this in one step. 

Thanks in advance for your vote!

23 REPLIES 23
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Without knowing the actual business process you need, you should be able accomplish the "splitting" by creating your process in a batch macro and then running process through the list of the values one at a time.

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I am curious what you want to do with the files after the split. The Output tool can automatically create individual files for each value in a field.

2016-10-10 09_35_38-Output Data (2) - Configuration.png

2016-10-10 09_40_32-Alteryx Designer x64 BETA - New Workflow1_.png

You can easily use the directory tool and a dynamic input tool to read all the files back in.

So I am just trying to understand what is it exactly you are trying to do with the files that cannot be done?

Tara McCoy
ryan_richardson
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your prompt response. I work in healthcare and have sets of diagnosis and procedure codes that are used to categorize patients. For patients falling into different categories, there are a number of data operations that we undertake that are unique to the patients in that category-

I like your idea about writing the data out and reading the files back in- may give that a shot-

Thank you-

Ryan Richardson

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is what I was referring to with the screenshots above.

Tara McCoy
nick_schimweg
8 - Asteroid

Hi Ryan,

You might find this basic macro I wrote a while ago useful (attached). If the stream has more than 5 values put another copy of the macro on the 5th output to split the stream again.

Nick

ryan_richardson
7 - Meteor

Nick- I really appreciate this- Thank you!

ryan_richardson
7 - Meteor

Hi- I was able to split my output files using the Append suffix to filename option shown in the screenshot below- really did the trick for me-

[cid:image001.png@01D34C19.4748E7D0]

Ryan Richardson

dgsigl2
6 - Meteoroid

Tara,  

I came across your reply in researching a similar issue.  Basically, I have a file with transactional information and I want to split out and analyze transactions based on the bank of origin.  I created the Temp Output, pointed the Directory input toward the temp file, but am having trouble configuring the dynamic input tool to split out the transactional data on the way back in.  Do you have any additional guidance on this tool?

Charlee
5 - Atom

Nick, this has been really helpful! Thank you!

Labels