Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Split Data Listed in one Column into multiple columns

WSchwabe
5 - Atom

Hello,

I would like to split a data set from one column into multiple columns based on the category. The data is grouped by a repeating sequence of a person's initials, full name, email, access type, date the account was activated, and folder access name (see "Inputs" column in attached sheet). 

I have tried variations of text to columns, transpose and arrange, but have not been able to get there, can you provide any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Hi @WSchwabe,

If the 'Inputs' data format is consistent, you may be able to solve this with a Tile & Cross Tab combo: 

2.PNG 

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @WSchwabe,

I'd use a couple of tools to get this done: 

grossal_0-1586812496667.png

Result: 

grossal_1-1586812512631.png

Steps:

- First I need an ID-Column, I do this with a simple check if the length of the column is 2 - this indicates the Initials

- First I want a row column with values from (you could also do this first and then create the ID)

- Switch Case for column names

- Cross tab

Workflow attached. Let me know what you think.

Best

Alex

WSchwabe
5 - Atom

Thank you, both of these approaches work great, thanks for the quick response!

Labels