Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Speeding up a Throttle thats pulling from an API?

StephenF
8 - Asteroid

Pulling information down is much slower then from outside the alteryx application, im wondering if its a problem with my workflow.

Screenshot attached.

The limit with the API is 9,999 rows per pull. Im pulling each day down from Jul 1st to now. So 3 months data, about 90 individual calls.

2 REPLIES 2
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @StephenF 

Which version of Alteryx are you using? Since some recent update (i dont know exactly which one) we have the throttle option inside the download tool. I think it is a worth try for you.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1664795445606.png

Another (and maybe more important) question, are you sending paginated requests? I understand that the throttle tool would make more sense before the download tool, configuring the requests per second that you are sending to the download tool.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @StephenF 

The throttle tool acts as a gatekeeper, so if you want it to affect your download tool, then it would need to be upstream of it. 

However, in this case I don't believe you want to throttle your workflow as you want to speed it up. 

In the Connections tab of the download tool, you can increase the number of maximum connections from 2 to a higher number. This will increase how many calls the download tool can make at the same time which could speed up your workflow.

OllieClarke_0-1664795812660.png

The throttle tool (or throttle options in the download tool) will just slow down your workflow, it's not going to limit the number of calls. 

If you have a limit of 9,999 rows per call, then you'd need a different logic to ensure that you don't go over that limit, but the throttle tool is not going to help with that here.

Hope that helps,

Ollie

Labels