Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Specifying app input type .xlsx and error expression

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

Hi there

I imagine there is a simple enough answer but don't know myself.

What should I input here to make sure that my app can only take in excel 2016?

WL1_0-1604167812762.png

Also, I would like to set up an error message that can appear that will say something like "only xlsx files" in case someone uses a csv or something like that, but I don't how to configure the expression, any advice?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BillyL14 if you update the syntax to the screenshot then the user will only be able to search for excel files and should stop them from uploading a csv file therefore removing the need for an error message. I have though attached a workflow that would provide and error message if an .xlsx file is not given. 

File_Browse_31202020.JPG

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

hi @JosephSerpis 

thank you very much

was wondering if could ask you something else?

am trying to finish my app and have this error, have specified a sheet in my workflow  but doesn't seem to come through on the app, do you know a way around? thanks

WL1_0-1604173700348.png

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BillyL14 without seeing the workflow it's hard to diagnose the issue. However that error would only appear if sheets are not specified when the app is run. I would say test you app in Debug mode as this will show what you workflow runs as after the app has had the inputs from the user.  The other point I would make is if you are creating your output file dynamically then you need to ensure they have a sheet specified. 

BillyL14
8 - Asteroid

hi @JosephSerpis thanks for that, apologies I couldn't really share as info in question is confidential and hard to mock up fake version, played around with it and was able to fix the problem I was having

Labels