Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Special Distinct Values Identifier

reynae3
7 - Meteor

Hey there!

I have been working with a field which specifies which tests a user experienced. The delimiter between each test is a comma and the delimiter between each test and version is and equal sign. 

Example (4 different users)

test1=A,test2=A,test3=B,test4=B,test5=C

test2=A,test3=B,test4=B,test5=C,test1=A

test1=B,test2=A,test3=B,test4=B,test5=C

test1=A,test2=A

Currently, counting distinct or grouping by gives me a total of 4 distinct for this data set. I need the distinct total to be 3 since the first and second user experienced the same tests and corresponding versions although the strings are in different orders.  My current method counts the first and second as different. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time!

6 REPLIES 6
Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

Hi ,

This is the first thing that came to mind.  I pulled out the tests using Regex, pivot them to sort, then summarize to concatenate and then summarize to count.

Count__Distinct.png

Cheers,

Bob

reynae3
7 - Meteor

Bob,

Do you mind including the workflow? Beginner Alteryx user!

Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

@reynae3

Welcome to the Alteryx!

It is part of the message - you should see the filename (Count Distinct.yxmd) and the little download icon next to it.

Bob

reynae3
7 - Meteor

Seems like you have the most recent version and I don't =(

Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

@reynae3

Just open the yxmd file in notepad and change the 11.3 in the 2nd line to 10.5 (for example) and save it.

:-)

reynae3
7 - Meteor

Thanks this works. the only modification is that I'm not splitting the test from the version.  

Labels