Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Spatial tools that creates polygon centroids

Avinash_K
8 - Asteroid

I am preparing for certification and found a topic mentioned in the prep guide ..identify spatial tools which can generate centroids of polygon . I am a newbee to spatial tools ,so wondering if someone can help me with this query .

6 REPLIES 6
TravisR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Avinash_K 

Spatial analytics can be pretty daunting for those that have never used any of those tools. Have you checked out the Spatial Interactive Lessons yet? They do a great job introducing the tools and getting you ready for the Advanced certification exam.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Spatial%20...

Avinash_K
8 - Asteroid

@TravisR thanks i have gone through the material already , my query is that none of the tools specifically say that it would create a centroid . Based on my knowledge is it safe to consider that any tool that ouputs a polygon also created a centroid ? e.g Spatial Match , Spatial Process , Buffer , trade area etc ?

I was checking one by one each tool and there is only one tool which actualy mentions output centroid and that is Spatial Info . So looks like only one tool does output centroid .

TravisR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'll give a hint - there are tools outside the Spatial tool tab which can do spatial calculations. :)

Avinash_K
8 - Asteroid

Nice little hint ..pointed me in right direction .. Thanks ;-)

rajvivan11
8 - Asteroid

There are so many ways you can get the centroid

Formula : ST_Centroid(ST_BoundingRectangle([Point1],[Point2]))

Sumarize: Use a Summarize tool.  Select the field containing the points and use the "Create Centroid" option in the Spatial section.

Spatial Info : Centroid as X and Y

Trade area etc

teruoarai
6 - Meteoroid

That's the most comprehensive answers!

Labels