Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Spatial tools that creates polygon centroids

Avinash_K
8 - Asteroid

I am preparing for certification and found a topic mentioned in the prep guide ..identify spatial tools which can generate centroids of polygon . I am a newbee to spatial tools ,so wondering if someone can help me with this query .

6 REPLIES 6
TravisR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Avinash_K 

Spatial analytics can be pretty daunting for those that have never used any of those tools. Have you checked out the Spatial Interactive Lessons yet? They do a great job introducing the tools and getting you ready for the Advanced certification exam.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Spatial%20...

Avinash_K
8 - Asteroid

@TravisR thanks i have gone through the material already , my query is that none of the tools specifically say that it would create a centroid . Based on my knowledge is it safe to consider that any tool that ouputs a polygon also created a centroid ? e.g Spatial Match , Spatial Process , Buffer , trade area etc ?

I was checking one by one each tool and there is only one tool which actualy mentions output centroid and that is Spatial Info . So looks like only one tool does output centroid .

TravisR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'll give a hint - there are tools outside the Spatial tool tab which can do spatial calculations. :)

Avinash_K
8 - Asteroid

Nice little hint ..pointed me in right direction .. Thanks ;-)

rajvivan11
8 - Asteroid

There are so many ways you can get the centroid

Formula : ST_Centroid(ST_BoundingRectangle([Point1],[Point2]))

Sumarize: Use a Summarize tool.  Select the field containing the points and use the "Create Centroid" option in the Spatial section.

Spatial Info : Centroid as X and Y

Trade area etc

teruoarai
6 - Meteoroid

That's the most comprehensive answers!

Labels