Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Spatial Tools - Creating square/rectangle type buffers around 2 points

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hello-  I'm in need of some advice:

Background of what is needed: 

I have 2 locations (set of lat/longs) that I need to create a 48 Km buffer around- the kicker I need it to be a box/rectangle instead of a sphere/circle.

I've played with multiple combinations of spatial tools, including using the buffer and grid tools.  The grid tool successfully turns my buffer into boxes; however, the box is not centred around the orignal points.  It can be any rectangle as long as the distance from the edge going north and south is 48km.  If it helps, I've uploaded a visual.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Alteryx Community!

4 REPLIES 4
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Would it work to create the circles around the points, then use the Summarize tool to combine the circles into one polygon, and then the Spatial Info tool to get the bounding rectangle around the combined circles?

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thanks for the response!  I have tried that and It is still giving me a larger "grid" than I need. Below is what I was able to accomplish so far.  I'm wondering if there is a way to simply create a bounding box around the combine buffer.  I have a feeling this is staring me in the face.  :)Image2.png

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is more of what I was suggesting. Does it work for what you need?

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thank you!  Yes this what I was looking for!  I knew it was staring at me.   I use the "spatial info" tool often to get centroids and area and completely overlook the bounding option! 

Labels